- Reserve Materials
- Mentor Teachers
- Contact Us
- Give Now
About OSU Teach
Teaching the Next Generation of Bright Minds
Oklahoma State University is committed to growing the number of highly-qualified mathematics and science educators for secondary schools in Oklahoma and beyond.
OSUTeach is the first and only UTeach program in Oklahoma.
In February 2014, the National Math and Science Initiative and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute announced that OSU had been selected as an implementation partner for UTeach, a highly-successful program created to attract a wide range of bright science and mathematics majors into secondary teaching careers, to prepare them through an advanced field-intensive curriculum, and to promote professional retention through induction support and ongoing professional development.
The program is a collaboration between the College of Education, Health and Aviation
and College of Arts Sciences. Core elements of the UTeach program include recruitment
and retention incentives, a compact degree program, a strong focus on research-based
strategies for teaching and learning mathematics and science, intensive field teaching
experience, and personal guidance from master teachers and faculty.
The program is modeled after the highly successful and innovative UTeach at the University of Texas-Austin. Launched at UT-Austin in 1997, the program has now been implemented at 34 other universities around the country with fantastic results.
- Research shows that a high percentage of program graduates enter the teaching profession and five years later most of them are still teaching in schools.
- OSUTeach was created to attract a wide range of bright science and mathematics majors into secondary teaching careers, to prepare them through an advanced field-intensive curriculum, and to promote professional retention through induction support and ongoing professional development.
- OSUTeach students begin by taking two recruitment courses (the courses are one credit hour each, and students receive a $125 scholarship for completing each course, allowing students to try out teaching mathematics or science without the financial commitment). Preparation to teach includes work in elementary, middle and high school classrooms with master teachers as they develop inquiry-based lessons using research-based curricula and materials. Students receive a degree in their STEM major and full teaching certification without added time or cost.
OSUTeach is a secondary mathematics and science teacher preparation program. If you are interested in learning about additional education preparation programs, please go to one of the following links:
- Secondary Education: https://education.okstate.edu/sced
- Elementary Education: https://education.okstate.edu/elem
- Early Childhood Education: http://humansciences.okstate.edu/hdfs/index.html
Phone: (405) 744-1234